Trip reports, ramblings, photos and videos from our life in Europe. Please feel free to send comments and keep me updated with your emails!

Saturday, July 14, 2007

A Surprise to Ring in the New Decade


Last Wednesday, July 11th, I turned 30! Notice I used the exclamation point...because I am excited about this new decade. If it is anything like the actual day, it is sure to be the best one ever.


A few weeks ago, Edgar told me to buy a new dress because he was taking me out for my birthday! So, a quick call to Catalina and Charlie, and off we went. I got a very fun black and white, calf-length, V-neck dress and some fun new black patent leather peep-toe chunky heels. When Edgar arrived home from work, with 2 dozen pink roses in tow, I was ready to go, with my best smokey eyes, red lipstick, and feathered hair. Shawn, Charlie's husband, had recently taken a trip to the States, and apparently had brought a special gift back for me from Edgar. As we were about to leave, Edgar received a call from Shawn saying he was running late from the office and would need more time in order to get me the gift. I wondered why the boys had just not made the exchange at the office, since they work in the same building...I summed it up to poor logistics. Secretly, I was happy we would need to stop by their house to pick up the gift, because I wanted to show Charlie my dress as I was all primped up. When we got to their house, Edgar ran inside while I waited in the car, and then ran back out saying , "Charlie wants to see your dress, but make it quick because we are late for the reservations." So I run up the sidewalk, in my heels, and Shawn answers the door apologizing for making us late. As I walk through the house to get to Charlie, I see sparkly streamers, and then all of my London friends there in the kitchen saying "SURPRISE!"
We had such a blast with the 70's inspired decor, including people's outfits-ladies with their mini-dresses, and the guys with unbuttoned shirts and chest hair in full force. The food was amazing-parma ham with melon to start, a whole poached salmon and salad for the main, and of course the delicious chocolate cake for dessert. You can't forget the wine! It was plentiful, perfect, and lasted until the very end.

I was 100% completely surprised and then still not convinced they were there all for me for a whole party! I asked, "Are you going with us to the restaurant?" Charlie laughed and said, "This is the restaurant...tonight I am Italian!" Edgar had told me we were eating Italian and it was a 35 minute drive from our house. I felt very special to be able to drive to the restaurant and not take the Tube. Although, I knew it had to be somewhere close to be able to get there in only 35 minutes. Charlie had taken me to lunch earlier in the day (THANKS CHARLIE!) and asked if I knew where we were going. She threw some options out, we pondered if it would be this place or that. I don't know how she kept a straight face.

Edgar has told me the integral part that Catalina and Charlie played in this big surprise. I would like to thank them here for their work in putting everything together. I feel so truly blessed to have made such wonderful friends half way around the world. Who knew that our circumstances would have put us all together? I would like to thank Alex for recommending the "sinful" chocolate cake...it was delicious and required many prayers. Aron, you are truly amazing. Thank you for being here on my special day. I know you had many other things on your mind and I feel so honored to have had you at the table. Nick and Shawn-thanks for always keeping my glass full...yes, I am thanking you believe it or not. And last but not least, thanks to my wonderful husband for having such a surprise for me. You all made my 30th completely unforgettable and made this American girl feel like British royalty-a Queen!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG - how awesome!!!! I wish I could have been there to see your face - now that would have been cool - next year tell Edgar to fly all of us over to celebrate with you!!!! :) Happy 30th once again!

Love you - Lisa