Trip reports, ramblings, photos and videos from our life in Europe. Please feel free to send comments and keep me updated with your emails!

Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Best Ride I've Had All Day

My driving instructor is not very good with small talk. He takes his job very seriously and I've relinquished all attempts at cracking jokes because he just doesn't get it. And I don't think it's a cultural barrier, he's just not a jokester. With that being said, I don't think he realizes when HE is being funny.

During one of my first driving lessons, we passed his former student's house. She was a former student because she was lucky enough to pass the test and no longer has to endure 2 hours of nit-picky driving instruction (that fortunate girl). As we passed the house, this is the conversation that ensued:

Driving Instructor: "One of my former students lives there, an American lady in fact, and was really good. She just took her test a few weeks ago and passed with very little faults. Her examiner told me "it was the best ride I've had all day. I just got to sit back and enjoy it".

Vonda: " "

Yes, my quotes are empty because I was afraid to open my mouth for fear of spewing spit in his face in a fit of laughter. The best part is that he never even realized how that whole little thing sounded. He said it with a perfectly straight face and with complete seriousness. When I told Edgar about it that night we laughed so hard. The rolling around kind of laughter where you can't catch your breath and your stomach hurts the next day.

I can only hope that I will be some examiner's best ride in a few weeks. I really hope he is able to sit back and enjoy it.

3 comments:

Bill, Shaila and Brody said...

That is funny, how did you keep a straight face. I am laughing just thinking about it. Shaila

Anonymous said...

It's funny to think that he could even keep a straight face and be so serious - but you know how Brits are - they can do that - and many of them have a very dry sense of humor. Good luck with the lessons, I'm sure that you are doing a fine job!

On Our List said...

Oh my goodness!!! He seriously said that...I would have wrecked the car from laughing so hard. Good for you for keeping a straight face and your eyes on the road.