Trip reports, ramblings, photos and videos from our life in Europe. Please feel free to send comments and keep me updated with your emails!

Thursday, January 22, 2009

You Learn Something New Everyday

Having been here for almost 2 years now, I thought I had already learned most of the everyday life differences separating the US from the UK...things like vocabulary, driving, food, etc. Well today was a random new thing. We receive our bank statements on paper about 5x7 size. It's got 2 small holes on the top left side and 2 small holes on the top right side. I'm thinking there must be a special binder for this type of hole-punched paper. I bought one when we first arrived and it didn't fit the holes on the paper, so I've been forced to manually punch holes in the paper that actually fit the binder. Imagine my happiness when the binder finally filled up and I could buy a new one that actually fit! I made my way to the office supply store and perused the binder section with no luck. I asked the salesguy for help when I thought I must be overlooking it. Indeed, nothing fit the paper. I asked if they had regular 3-ring binders because all the ones on display were only 2-ring.He gave me that smirk that I have received so often over here and said, "Three ring binders are an American thing. Europe uses 2-ring binders." And before you ask, yes, even the notebook paper only has 2 holes in it.

The even bigger question is why would our bank, a bank that is based here in Europe, use hole-punched paper that doesn't fit a standard binder, or any binder, for that matter? I guess the same reason they send our PIN number through the mail with a giant logo of the bank on the front of the envelope...with our account number printed next to the PIN number. Smart.

2 comments:

Le Couvent - www.roujan.com said...

Hi Vonda

Ask your bank - I'll bet they have a binder sitting there with the right holes and your name on it.

Banking is odd, especially here in France. No free banking, you pay for your banker's card, very low limits on the amount you can withdraw from the ATM each week regardless of how much you have in your account. Low maximum allowed in a saver's account. You wouldn't believe it. I thought banking was the same everywhere - wrong!

Vonda & Edgar said...

From the mouths of the Brits themselves, very good advice! I think your banking experience trumps mine, though. Why would anyone want to limit the amount of money someone wants to invest in them? That's crazy!