Trip reports, ramblings, photos and videos from our life in Europe. Please feel free to send comments and keep me updated with your emails!

Saturday, January 05, 2008

I'm still here!

I haven't posted a blog since leaving London, so thought I would give you the trip highlights so far...

My cousin Stacy married her sweetie, Conley Isom, on December 15th. I was so happy to be able to celebrate with them. Although, I do feel a bit old because I used to help change her diapers...they grow up so fast! Have a beautiful life together, Conley and Stacy. And Conley...welcome to the family!

Christmas was probably one of our best ever. Nothing beats witnessing the magic of the season through the eyes of a 3 year old. My nephew Brody discovered Santa this year, and did we have a blast! Santa even made a personal visit to our home on Christmas Eve while waiting on a broken sleigh to be fixed. Needless to say, it was an unexpected visit, and we were ALL surprised. Brody left Santa a hotdog (he thought Santa may like hotdogs instead of cookies) and a Coca-Cola. Shaila found out about www.northpole.com, and with the magic of technology we could track Santa all over the world. Google Earth pinpointed his exact location and youtube provided video updates. Brody talks to Edgar and I pretty frequently over the computer using Skype and a webcam (in fact, for a while, he thought we lived in my parents' computer monitor). So when Santa was waving on the youtube videos, it didn't take much to convince Brody that Santa was waving specifically at him. One thing I learned on Christmas Eve is that you can get a 3 year old to do pretty much anything you want with the prospect of Santa and toys.

We threw a great retirement party for my Dad on December 29th. We had between 70-80 friends and family with us as we feasted on BBQ, looked at old photos, and reminisced on his 40 year career with the phone company. I tried my best to hold it together during my speech for him, but my emotions came pouring out and I think we all shed a few tears. I am just so extremely, utterly, fantastically happy for him. He grew up on dairies and farms, and helped his family run a feed mill, so this is the first time in his life that he gets to spend his days exactly how he wishes. I don't think he's stopped smiling since his last day on November 30th. We've had so much fun just hanging out in our pajamas until lunch time and we've even hit the gym a few days.

James, Amber and Cade drove up to Gatesville to help us ring in the New Year. My parents got to see how baby-proof their new house is. I would say they did a pretty good job. No one got hurt and nothing was broken. James and Amber drove Edgar back to Austin on January 1st, where he began the long journey back to London.

Currently, I am helping my dad organize two boxes of very old photographs, newspaper clippings, and memories. It is really cool to see a great-great grandmother or a very distant cousin who slightly resembles you and your current family members. We found a stack of postcards and photos taken by my grandfather when he was stationed in England and France during WWII. Edgar and I have now visited the majority of the places in the photos. It's almost surreal to think I have been walking the same ground my grandfather walked over 60 years ago. I am thankful for my grandfather and all the veterans for allowing my walk to be under much better circumstances than theirs'.

I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year. I am still here until December 12th, so if you happen to be in Gatesville, I would love to see you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hoping to cross your path before you leave. I'm only about 20 minutes from the airport and I'm on the way.. so give me a shout on your way down. I'd like for you to get to see our new house but if not, maybe next time.
love ya - val

Le Couvent - www.roujan.com said...

Hi hon - Glad you're having such a good time with your Dad. Give him a hug from us both at Le Couvent. Happy New Year to you all from a rather soggy south of France.
Lizzie & Ali xx

Anonymous said...

Vonda Kay it was great having you home for the holidays. Just wasn't long enough. We will be there before you know it. Have fun in Amsterdam. Love you mom