Trip reports, ramblings, photos and videos from our life in Europe. Please feel free to send comments and keep me updated with your emails!

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Selfridge's




Yesterday, I visited Selfridge's with Catalina and Charlie (and of course little Adam...he is quite the lady's man)! It is a huge department store on Oxford Street that was opened in 1909 by an American entrepreneur. It is still in its original building and is famous for groundbreaking window displays.

Upon walking in on the ground floor, I made my way through the myriad cosmetics counters and managed to avoid the spraying perfume. It was worth the maneuver, because in the next section, I was greeted by the most magnificent food hall I have ever seen! They have every single type of food you could want from Spanish to Scandinavian to sushi. You can eat it in the store or have it as take-away (British for to-go). We had a gorgeous selection of Moroccan dishes and a dessert that was a cross between fudge and baked meringue.

They also sell some groceries and I was so excited when I spotted an entire section of Lucky Charms! And then I looked at the price...$13.00!!!! I don't think I want them that bad. Aunt Jemima syrup must be considered a delicacy as well, because a small bottle was $12.50...it's not even real syrup!


I cannot wait to go back and spend some more time browsing all of the floors. It must be so much fun during the holidays. I can't imagine what the displays must look like.




Photo: Catalina on the left, Charlie on the right (with Adam in the pram...British for stroller). Selfridge's is the building on the left with the pillars.

No comments: