Trip reports, ramblings, photos and videos from our life in Europe. Please feel free to send comments and keep me updated with your emails!

Saturday, July 11, 2009

A Day to Admire the Southbank and Celebrate my Birthday!

We set our alarms for early morning today...and actually woke up when they went off! We had to get to the Borough Market before the crowds hit. I braved city traffic and drove all of us in instead of taking the train. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I found a parking garage close to all the places we were to visit. The Borough Market was colorful, lively and smelled as good as it always does. Several cheese, truffle oil, and salsa samples later, we made our purchases and hit the River again. It's just our luck that the one day we are near the London Bridge, they are having the 800 year anniversary celebration. These impromptu festivities are the best.

(Me, Mom, and Dad looking at the veggies in the Borough Market)

We then headed further down the Southbank towards Tower Bridge and the Tower of London. It started pouring rain just as we got half way over the Bridge. Thankfully, I am an experienced Londener these days and we all had the umbrellas handy. Before Mom and Dad toured the Tower of London, we stopped for lunch at Bodean's. You would never think a place across the pond would have good BBQ, but we found one! Bodean's has great BBQ that rivals any I've had in Texas or the US. Even my Dad said it was good...and that's saying alot.


(Edgar, Vonda, Little Baby, Mom, and Dad in front of Tower Bridge)



(Mom and Dad in front of the Tower of London)


We attempted to see St. Paul's Cathedral, but got there five minutes too late to enter. We did get some good shots of the outside, though. We will have to go back another day to go inside.



(In front of St. Paul's Cathedral)

We had all had enough walking for the day, so we headed home to get a little rest before going out for my birthday dinner. I thought it was going to be a small dinner at one of our favorite Italian places here in Richmond. When we arrived, I was completely surprised to find that Charlie, Catalina, and Sebastian was also there to join the party! I was completely shocked and so, so happy to have my wonderful London friends celebrate my birthday with me. It was even more special because Mom and Dad were able to be here as well.



Perfect ending to a perfect day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the pics of the whole family! So glad they were able to be with you on your bday!!! Hope you had a great day and I wish you many many more!!!!

Love you - Lisa

Bill, Shaila and Brody said...

Happy Birthday!!!! Looks like you had a great day. Love the baby bump!!! So different in just a couple of weeks!!!!