Trip reports, ramblings, photos and videos from our life in Europe. Please feel free to send comments and keep me updated with your emails!

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Fiesta!


Today, the light shone down, the angels sang, and I ate Mexican food for the first time in THREE MONTHS! Three months without Mexican food is like three months without...chocolate. After hearing Mexican food horror stories, my expectations were not very high as Charlie and I headed to Cafe Pacifico in Covent Gardens. But she had eaten there before and assured me it would taste just like home. As we walked in, I smelled the familiar aroma of fajita smoke and saw the familiar Mexican decor and knew I had found the place.


We were given small bowls of chips (as in tortilla) and salsa to start, although their bowl for the both of us consisted of about 12 chips and a 1/4 cup of salsa...hey, I never said they had Texas-sized portions here. The salsa was great! So good, in fact, that I bought some to bring home...won't Edgar be so surprised and happy at his good fortune? They had all the usual suspects on the menu. While I had my heart set on cheese enchiladas originally, I would up opting for the quesada grande...basically a burrito, and like having a chicken fajita without all the work and extra plates on the table. They also had decent rice and charro beans.


So now that I know where to go to get my fajita fix, our next mission is to find a good Colombian food place. I was very surprised to learn that London has a small Colombia population, as evidenced by a little trek to the Colombian Embassy a few months ago. In the Embassy are advertisements for everything Latin in London. They even have Spanish language newspapers. I picked up an advertisement for a Colombian food place near Oxford Street that is supposed to be pretty good...we may check that one out next.


A few London Mexican food stories...American chips=tortilla chips, British chips=french fries. Our friend ordered chips and salsa from a supposed Mexican food restaurant and received french fries covered in a salsa that was basically ketchup with some veggies in it. You would think a Mexican food place of all places would know that chips and salsa are chips and salsa! There is a place here in Richmond that purports to be a Mexican food restaurant, so Edgar and I checked out the menu....no chips and salsa on there and the only thing half way Mexican was a quesadilla...not even a taco or enchilada. They should be charged for false advertisement for luring in homesick Texans with the promise of Tex-Mex.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoo Hooo! Finally some Mexican food. I will think of you everytime I am hanging out at my fave' place here "Casa Chapala" - when you guys come back, we'll take you there. It's awesome! The Chips & Salsa story is just too funny!

Anonymous said...

Too funny!!! Love the pic - you look so excited! Glad you found a place to get your fix - just don't forget the real thing is back here in Texas!!! Romero's misses you!!! : )

Love ya - Lisa

Vonda & Edgar said...

We were kind of worried that Romero's would go out of business when we left. Glad to know they are still going strong! How I miss that tortilla soup!