Trip reports, ramblings, photos and videos from our life in Europe. Please feel free to send comments and keep me updated with your emails!

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Rowing Down the River

Wednesday night I was invited to a rowing session with 3 wonderful ladies-Alex, Charlie, and Angel. We were sculling, actually. Alex heads up a team for the Great River Race which happens every September here in London. Three hundred boats of all types row 22 miles down the Thames River, starting near Richmond in far west London, and ending in Greenwich in far east London. Considering it was my first time to ever row, I think I did a pretty good job once I got into the rhythm. It is a bit awkward at first because it isn't as cut and dry as the rowing machines at the gym, but I learned that it's kind of like driving...you have to look at the road ahead and not the sidelines. With sculling, I found it much easier to just look straight ahead and feel the movement rather than concentrate on the placement of the oars or my arms, back, legs, etc. I don't know if I'll get to participate in the race because they seem to already have a full boat, but I am happy to participate in the Wednesday rowing sessions....I said I would try new things while here, so I guess I can add this to my list!

If you have any tips for my sculling technique, please send them along....I can take all the help I can get!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't help much with this. The last time I rowed in a boat was with Jarrod on Lake Fairfield. I think I was about 12 and he would have been about 15. See the funny thing is that I was in the front of the canoe and didn't have a clue what i was supposed to do. Big thunderstorm came up, we were way out in the middle of the lake - and I acted just like a girl - scared to death! Big brother didn't like that much. I have never stepped foot in a canoe since!