Trip reports, ramblings, photos and videos from our life in Europe. Please feel free to send comments and keep me updated with your emails!

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The Ticket Police

Today I had to go into the City to run an errand...the Buckingham Palace area, actually. After a quick tube status check on the Transport for London website, I learned that there were delays on every tube line I needed to take (gotta love that District Line!). So instead of the "tube-tube-tube-walk" route I would have normally taken, I opted for the "train-bus-walk" suggested alternate route. I haven't ridden the buses too much here. I just find it easier to navigate using my little organized tube map than having to remember a bunch of bus numbers. But, it was a nice day outside and I figured a ride on top of a double decker would give me a nice, birds-eye view of the city and all the tourists.

I boarded my bus portion after a quick train ride to the Vauxhall Station. About halfway through my journey at one of the stops, 4 official looking transport workers boarded our bus and started saying very loudly "I'd like to see your passes, please.....Passes, please." So I dug my travelcard out of my pocket and showed that I was indeed paid-up and entitled to ride the bus. Two guys got totally bus-ted (no pun intended) and had to disembark to the awaiting officers writing penalty tickets.

I haven't decided yet if it's the accent or the vocabulary that makes the British sound so sophisticated and important. But as I glanced at the back of the transport workers' neon green vests, I think I may be leaning towards vocabulary. Their official title? "Revenue Protection"

No comments: