Trip reports, ramblings, photos and videos from our life in Europe. Please feel free to send comments and keep me updated with your emails!

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Hola de Bogota!

I had a few spare minutes while the family is watching soccer on TV and catching up with each other, so thought I would send a little update. We arrived in Bogota with no problems, other than being very, very tired. Fourteen hours on a plane is not the most fun thing in the world, but it is so worth it to see the in-laws and Edgar´s precious new nephew, Nicolas. They have given me a great tour of the city, which is the capital of Colombia, so I got to see where all the governmental affairs take place and the Presidential Palace, a.k.a. the White House of Colombia. There is a big push right now to end the kidnappings that are taking place and to free those who are currently in captivity, so it is interesting to see the banners and signs hanging around town. The old part of the city is very beautiful with Spanish colonial architecture and the area in general is beautiful as it sits in the mountains. We took a train to the top of one mountain that overlooks the city and contains a beautiful church at the top. I have to say I was a little nervous riding the train up...it´s a straight shot at about a 45degree or larger angle. Several family members have had us over for dinner, so you can imagine we have been eating well!

Today was the baptism. The morning was a little hectic, trying to get all the logistics worked out and making sure everyone was where they were supposed to be. In true Colombian fashion, I had my hair done this morning. It is a total luxury to have someone else blow dry my hair, something I can easily do for myself, but I thought what the heck, beets and pickles, right? I was a little worried about the outcome, but I think I got the master of the hairdryers and he made me muy linda.

So we are finally having our first relaxing evening together. Unless we go salsa dancing, as was suggested at lunch. Then we may have another late night! So, as always, I am just going with the flow. I smile alot, nod my head alot, and get in the car when they tell me to. Where I wind up is always a surprise, and getting there is always an adventure. Ciao, Vonda

1 comment:

Bill, Shaila and Brody said...

Sounds like you are having fun. It is always nice to have someone else blow dry your hair. Have fun the rest of your trip. xoxo S