Trip reports, ramblings, photos and videos from our life in Europe. Please feel free to send comments and keep me updated with your emails!

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Cotswolds



I really needed to get out of the house this past weekend. I've been just kind of hanging out the past few weeks, and the walls seemed to be getting closer to each other every day. This was making me a bit...cranky. On Friday around 2pm, I heard keys in our door. I wasn't expecting anyone from management and they are the only people besides us who have keys to our flat. So I firmly placed my hand on the door to keep it from opening, knowing all I needed to do was let out a blood curdling scream and my wonderful neighbor, Roger, would rush downstairs to see what was going on. Then I heard that familiar whistle that could only say it was Edgar on the other side of the door. Surprise!!!



He said, "Let's go somewhere this weekend!" We narrowed it down to Stow-on-the-Wold in the Cotswolds. The Cotswolds is an area of England about 1 1/2 north of London and is full of quaint and cozy little villages. As you drive through them, you feel as if you are driving through a fairy tale, with rolling hills, stone cottages, tea rooms, cute shops, and, most importantly, the friendliest people I have met in all of England!


We stayed at The Royalist Hotel, which is right on the edge of town with walking access to everything. The hotel dates back to 947AD and was so cool inside. Some of the beams are original, so they are over 1000 years old! The old fireplace in the restaurant area has "witch marks" that were supposed to keep the evil spirits away. We had a great dinner at Allium...great food, great wine. We rolled out of there I think. It was the kind of place that brings a nibble to the table, then a pre-appetizer, then the appetizer, etc. It was all so good, I was a little disappointed I got full so fast!


Sunday saw rain and drizzle, so not the best weather for strolling through villages. We took some out of the way country roads and just enjoyed the scenery and the changing colors of the trees. They were still pretty, but I think they probably hit their peak a few weeks ago. We got a recommendation to stop by Daylesford Organic Farm and I am so glad we did! It was the neatest place with yummy food and all sorts of outdoor stuff. We bought an almond cake and some BBQ sauce. The cake is good, haven't tried the sauce. It will either be really good or will make me miss home.


Now, it's only 3 more weekends until I head to Texas!! Woohoo! Can't wait! I really need to keep myself busy to make these next 3 weeks go by quickly!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look great!!!!!!! Edgar love the hair cut. So glad you finally got out of the flat. We are counting days also and cain't wait to see you both. Love Mom

Bill, Shaila and Brody said...

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!