Trip reports, ramblings, photos and videos from our life in Europe. Please feel free to send comments and keep me updated with your emails!

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Familiar Faces, Familiar Food


We had our first visitors from Gatesville this weekend! OK, so they didn't actually come here to visit us nor did they come to our flat, but they were in London and we met up with them...that counts, right? Edwin and DeDe Powell are here in London catching all the big sites and we finally connected with the world travellers at a little cafe behind Harrod's. With it being their first trip to London, Edgar and I were fully prepared to give them the low down on the tube and the who/what/why to visit, but we quickly found out that these guys needed no help at all. They are pros at public transportation and they already had their itinerary lined up. It was so nice to see some familiar faces and they promised they would be our ambassadors for London. Thanks, Edwin and DeDe, for taking the time to see us. It really meant the world to me.

Today, Edgar and I traveled back to Oxford Street to get into the holiday spirit. I was very excited to see all the window displays in the big department stores of Debenham's and Selfridge's. They were Ok, but not quite what I was expecting from a city as large as London.

I am very homesick for BBQ and Mexican food and with my hopes shattered on finding any true Mexican food here, I thought I would give the BBQ a try. I had heard from a friend that I could find "real" BBQ in a place called Bodean's, near Oxford Street. We didn't need a map. Our noses found it about a block away. It was on par with any BBQ I've had in Texas and to top it off, they keep the TV's on the North American Sports Network, so we even got to watch college football! I had a tear in my eye and a smile on my face as we made our way to Selfridge's to sample Christmas chocolates. What a great weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ms. Powell was not only MY kindergarten teacher but also Jarrod's and Barrett's..Was she yours? I thought she was the coolest, even in 1977!

Vonda & Edgar said...

I had Mrs. Smith for kindergarten. Shaila had Mrs. Powell, though. Yes, the is the coolest.