Trip reports, ramblings, photos and videos from our life in Europe. Please feel free to send comments and keep me updated with your emails!

Saturday, February 07, 2009

Some Movie Reviews

Edgar and I love watching movies. Sometimes we'll get on a roll and watch several movies a month and other times we'll go months without seeing anything. Maybe it's the onset of the coldest winter in decades or perhaps it's just because I've been interested in several movies lately, but we've been to 3 movies in the past 3 weeks. I'll give you my reviews...

Frost/Nixon
I thought this movie was so boring. It's literally 2 hours of people just talking back and forth. They try to make it documentary style, but it just didn't work for me. It felt like a bad skit you create for high school English. The story was interesting simply because I didn't know much about this famous David Frost interview of Richard Nixon post impeachment, but the way they did it was just flat out BORING!

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
We watched this one last night. It was much better than what I was expecting it to be. It's about a boy (Brad Pitt) who is born old and grows young...reverse aging. The way they created the old Brad Pitt is pretty cool because I watched a show on how they did it, but I was very happy when he finally got to his 40's and they could take the make-up off (know what I mean girls?). I did have a few issues with the storyline, but I won't discuss them here in case you want to watch it. Bottom line...Brad Pitt=eye candy, nice movie, good acting, Cate Blanchett goes a beautiful job...go see it.

Slumdog Millionaire
I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!! I'm not usually one who has a "favorite" movie. I like the classics-Grease, Pretty Woman, Top Gun, Footloose-but rarely have I watched a movie that I just love and can watch again and again. I think this movie is now my favorite movie of all time. It's about a boy from a slum in India who goes on the Indian version of Who Wants to be Millionaire. The movie examines his life based on his answers to the questions. It stars an actor from London and several Bollywood stars. It's a beautiful, colorful, heartwarming, feel good movie. You will leave the theater with a smile on your face and a tear in your eye. I just can't say enough good things about it. It has so far won SAG Awards, the Golden Globes, and many others. It has multiple nominations for the Oscars and the BAFTA's (the British equivalent of the Oscars). Please make a point to see this movie-you won't regret it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with all your comments except the one about Frost-Nixon. Since I really like poilitics this movie was apelaing to me.

I do see your point about the dialogue but I did like how the press when is truly independent (Opposite of FOX news)can do a good job at keeping the executive power in check when other sources of justice had failed.

Edgar

Vonda & Edgar said...

Thank you for your in-depth comment, Babe. But you have to admit...it was pretty boring.