Trip reports, ramblings, photos and videos from our life in Europe. Please feel free to send comments and keep me updated with your emails!

Thursday, April 03, 2008

My First Driving Lesson!

Well, there's nothing like having someone nitpick every single little look and turn for 2 whole hours! I swear, it was like having the worst possible backseat driver, only they're sitting right next to you with their own brake...dude...don't brake for me!!! In all fairness, he was just doing his job and helping to prepare me for my test. The test is very, very strict, and literally one wrong turn or glance, and you can FAIL! He said I did very well and will only need 4 more lessons before I'm ready. I thought this was quite alot, but considering the pickiness of the testing, I need all the preparation I can get so I can pass it on the FIRST try. There are little things that do not come second nature to American drivers, but that are very important in British driving...like putting on the emergency brake if you think you will be stationery for longer than 10 seconds. If you don't do it, you FAIL! Round-a-bouts are very serious business as well. One slight hesitation (which I call being a cautious driver) and you FAIL! And who knew that being able to back around a corner or turn around in the middle of a street could be so complicated! Apparently you have to look out the appropriate window at the just the right time, or you FAIL! So these are the types of things I'm working on making habits. I've been driving around this country and several others for the past year with no problems, so I can't imagine I'm THAT BAD. I felt really proud that I only needed 4 more lessons...considering he told me that the average person needs 30-40 before they are ready! Hopefully in another month, I'll be ready to PASS!! ~Vonda

2 comments:

On Our List said...

That is intense!!! I am glad you only need 4 lessons instead of 30. I would never remember the emergency brake...especially if I was stuck in traffic. I am just too busy yelling at everyone to move. J/K...I am more likely to be yelling at my kids to be quiet so I cam concentrate.

Love,
Sharon

P.S. Keep the post coming...your life in England, cracks me up.

Vonda & Edgar said...

Yes, I'm also glad I only need 4! I think if I needed 30, I might as well just not even do it, because it would be time for us to move back!~Vonda