Trip reports, ramblings, photos and videos from our life in Europe. Please feel free to send comments and keep me updated with your emails!

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Is it really Spring? Or is this just another tease?

It's been a while since I've blogged...sorry about that. I'll try to catch you up on my last few weeks.

Julie and Jonathan's visit was so much fun. I gave them whirlwind tours of the city and I'm pretty sure I walked their legs off. The weather was not the greatest while they were here, but we put on our coats, donned our umbrellas, and pretended not to notice the rain/wind/snow/cold. Wouldn't you know that the day after they left, we had beautiful sunshine! Today might possibly be the best day of the year so far. I actually did all my errands around town *GASP* without a coat!

My other big news is that I am officially one step closer to being a lawful UK driver. We had 12 months to get it all taken care of, and we kind of missed the deadline, but, fortunately, things are progressing more quickly than expected. The worst thing so far has been having to send my actual passport to the driver's license office. I was very nervous about doing this, but I had it back safe and sound within 10 days. Last Thursday I received my Provisional License. This is the equivalent of a learner's permit in Texas. I'm supposed to put these big "L" magnets on the car and I'm supposed to drive around with only a qualified UK driver...hmmm....The only place I drive is the 2 mile round trip to Sainsbury's (grocery store). Guess I'll keep those trips to a minimum until I'm legal. Tomorrow morning, I have my first driving lesson. John Lewis from the British Motoring School will give me a 2 hour assessment and then tell me how many more lessons I need to actually be able to pass the driving part of the test. I hope to impress him with my skills and just get it over with. In the meantime, I'll be studying for the "theory" test, which is a computer based written test. I have to pass this theory test before I can even schedule the driving test. I got a little nervous when I read that only 42% of people pass all this on their first try. Hopefully I'll be in that 42%!

I'll keep you update on my driving progress! Have a wonderful week...~V

4 comments:

On Our List said...

Good luck on the test!! I didn't realize it was so hard to get a license in another country. I also appreciate your comment on my blog...I can't even remember what the word tan means!!! I will be glad when the weather clears up. I think the Caribbean is a great idea and then maybe I would remeber what a tan is.

Love,
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Just remember all those days of driving the buggy around the farm. Hopefully that will pay off... hehehe kidding. :)

Love you - Lisa

Anonymous said...

Just get real good at it so I won't be so nervous when dad and I get over there. Love you mom

Vonda & Edgar said...

Sharon-yes, like everything over here, driving is a process!

Lisa-oh, those were the days, especially when my mom found out!

Mom-woops, did you know about that? Don't worry, I'm a good driver, and we won't be driving much anyways...got your walking shoes?