Trip reports, ramblings, photos and videos from our life in Europe. Please feel free to send comments and keep me updated with your emails!

Friday, April 25, 2008

Food Frenzy

I get frustrated with some of the ethnic restaurant food here in London. So, I decided to step out of my box and examine if these frustrations are valid or if I am just being a picky American. I've decided they are valid. Here's why.


I am really beginning to miss TexMex (see post below) and Latin food. Despite London being a very international city, they just don't do this type of food very well. For example, last weekend, I researched and found THE Mexican food restaurant in London. Their website purported them to be the place where people who are homesick go and also the London hangout for Mexicans. We had high expectations, so we booked a table, got all fancy and made our way into the city for a night on the town. We ordered the taco platter, which came with four different taco fillings and lots of different toppings. It was good, don't get me wrong, but it was missing something. Now, I've been to Mexico, and I've lived in Texas (which used to be Mexico) my whole life (sort of). I know what Mexican tastes like, and I know what an authentic dish is. Lots of stuff on the menu wasn't even really Mexican. They tried to make it Mexican by adding cilantro or peppers, but it wasn't Mexican.


This weekend, we are trying out a Cuban place in Soho. Edgar heard about it at work and was assured it was good. They also have live music and salsa dancing, so it should be fun if nothing else. I was perusing the menu yesterday and frustration set in. They don't even have Ropas Viejas, which is one of THE MOST TYPICAL CUBAN DISHES!!! Oh, they had a something they called Ropas Viejas, but it was baked duck eggs! I'm sorry, but baked duck eggs are a far cry from the deliciousness that is Ropas Viejas-shredded beef in a yummy tomato based sauce. The menu didn't even include fried sweet plantains. But, we're going anyways, just to give it a shot.


So this is where my frustrations lie. If a restaurant says it is Mexican, Cuban, French, whatever, then BE Mexican, Cuban, or French. I don't think I'm being picky and I don't think that my palette preferences are based on an American bias. I know how these things are supposed to taste because I have been to their countries of origin! Except for Cuba, but Houston has alot of Cubans and I've eaten at their places. They say that London has come a long way in this area. I don't want to think about how it used to be.


But I do have to give props to this great city. They do Indian and Thai food very, very well. Whereas we used to get a taco fix after a good, long night of fun (Taco Cabana anyone?), they go out for a "curry". Our comfort foods include chips and salsa, their's include poppadoms and mango chutney. Half the pubs around here have dropped the traditional pub grub of fish and chips and the likes for a healthy selection of Thai. To each his own I guess. But I can guarantee that should they move to Houston and get homesick for tikka masala, they could find a place they makes it just as good as home.

2 comments:

On Our List said...

I feel your pain. I can't find a great bar-b-que place here. There is a place here that everyone loves so we went to try it out. On the menu was Hill Co. Texas brisket. I was like finally something I could relate to since I grew up near Hill Co. Texas. Lets just say it wasn't Hill Co. Brisket...it was puke. I have never been so diappointed in my life. I have just decided like you if you want to get some great Texas dishes, you have to go back home to Texas.

Love ya,
Sharon

Vonda & Edgar said...

Sharon-I hear ya. I have absolutely no hope of finding Texmex around here. So I ordered a TexMex cookbook...we'll see how it turns out! It's from a really famous restaurant in San Antonio, so hopefully it will give me some good ideas.