Trip reports, ramblings, photos and videos from our life in Europe. Please feel free to send comments and keep me updated with your emails!

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Our first Opera!!!

Edgar is a big fan of opera. I can appreciate the amazing talent that is opera singing and I love the theater of it all. I guess it wouldn't be fair for me to judge my like or dislike as I've never even been to an opera. That will all change tonight. We are going to attend our first opera this evening at 7pm. The place: London's famed Royal Opera House. The title: Carmen. We splurged on good seats, not the nosebleeds. I can't wait! I think I may even drink a $20 glass of champagne during intermission. Hey, if your going to do it, you may as well do it right, right?


Some background info:The Spanish heat and gypsy passion of Carmen take to the stage as The Royal Opera presents the first revival of Francesca Zambello’s vibrant production with Tanya McCallin’s richly coloured designs. It’s a great stage recreation of the sun-drenched and sultry world of 19th-century Spain, with its ranks of soldiers and crowds of peasants, its gypsies and bullfighters, its spectacle and its deadly, white-hot emotions. Spanish-born Nancy Fabiola Herrera has been greatly acclaimed as the fickle temptress of the title, while star tenor Marcelo Álvarez is Don José, the soldier she forces to murderous jealousy over her new affair with the bullfighter Escamillo, played by Kyle Ketelsen. It’s a perfect cast to bring alive the sexy solos, rousing choruses, impassioned arias and Spanish dances of one of the most famously tuneful of all operas and one of the most enduringly popular works in the entire repertory.


I'm pretty sure you will recognize one of its most famous musical pieces. Click here to watch a trailer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow looks like a great show! If you make it back to the states before they stop doing Phantom of the Opera in Las Vegas, you need to go. We went last June and it was amazing! have fun!