Trip reports, ramblings, photos and videos from our life in Europe. Please feel free to send comments and keep me updated with your emails!

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Driving Test Result

I know that so many of you are bleery-eyed, tired...waking up at the crack of dawn, refreshing my blog every 5 seconds, eagerly awaiting the outcome of my driving test this morning. Well, your wait is finally over. As of 9:57am I am officially a legal UK driver!!!! I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And with flying colors I might add. They grade you here on a series of faults. You are allowed 15 minor faults for things like not holding the steering wheel correctly, not signaling properly, etc. and absolutely zero major faults for things like running a red light or being in the wrong lane at the round-a-bout. I only received 4 minor faults and of course no major faults or else I would have failed. I was so pleased with myself as only 42% of people even pass the test on the first try and I did it with room to spare.

My examiner was actually very nice and was even giving me pub recommendations for when my parents come over in June! Now, my instructor, that's another story. When I so excitedly told him that I had passed with only 4 faults, he said, "Oh yes, you remember the chap from last week that I told you about? The one who passed with no faults?" What a Debbie Downer!!! He never once congratulated me or said "Well done!" I told him about one area that gave me a little trouble and he said, "Well you really should have taken some more lessons." WTF????? I just passed the thing on the first try and you are telling me I should have taken more lessons???? Oh well. If he's out there somewhere and reading this blog, here's a little constructive critisism...Tell your students something encouraging or positve every now and then. It isn't good practice to only speak to your students when they do something wrong. And most importantly, at least give them a pat on the back when they pass.

I am most excited because this means I can drive my parents around freely and can finally start planning that trip to Ireland and France with them! Charlie invited me to lunch with a couple of her very sweet friends and we had a Prosecco and Cherry to celebrate. We sat outside and it is so beautiful and sunny here today that I even got a little bit sunburned! So now I'm off to pick up some things for dinner..I think we may even crack open a bottle of the good wine tonight. Thanks to everyone who encouraged me...I just kept your good thoughts on my mind throughout and I couldn't have done it without you! ~V

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOOOOHOOOO - many congrats to you!!!! I agree on the comment to the instructor too - geesh lighten up already and tell someone good job. Pass out a gold star or something man. I am proud of you - :)

Love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the early morning wake up at 5 this morning. We are so proud of you. Got my new walking shoes today and can't wait for you to take us around town. Love you, mom

Bill, Shaila and Brody said...

Yes, thank you for the wake up call this morning. Sorry I didn't recognize you right off of the bat. Congrats to you. Love, Shaila

Vonda & Edgar said...

Lisa-THANKS!!!

Shaila and Mom-isn't my voice better than the alarm clock? Glad I couldn't start your day with happines!!

On Our List said...

Way to go!!!! Your instructor is a word I will not say..I am glad you passed with flying colors.

Anonymous said...

Yes honey your voice is better than an alarm clock any morning. love mom