Trip reports, ramblings, photos and videos from our life in Europe. Please feel free to send comments and keep me updated with your emails!

Monday, May 05, 2008

Sometimes you just have to take matters into your own hands...

Edgar and I are really craving TexMex. After 3 failed attempts, we've resigned to the fact that we will not find any Latin related food here in London that is worth eating. So...I decided to just cook it myself. I ordered a TexMex cookbook from Amazon and got to work. Anybody can make fajitas and guacamole. It's those darn enchiladas that are an enigma to me. I just couldn't imagine how to make that luscious brown gravy sauce that comes on top of them. This cookbook scored a buy from me because the very first recipe was "Enchilada Gravy Sauce"...SOLD! It's a pretty basic recipe and I don't know why I didn't think of it myself. You just make a roux out of oil and flour, add Mexican spices like cumin and then water to thin it out. I'm still experimenting with the combo of spices because I have a certain taste in my mouth and I won't stop until I've mastered it! But I have to say, my enchiladas turned out so well!!! We both had little tears in our eyes upon the first bite!

I am always amazed at the emotional connections with food. The flavors, the smells, even the textures can take you back to familiar and happy times. As we sat at our table last night, enchiladas, charro beans and margaritas laid out before us, we were instantly transported to Texas, to Romero's, our favorite place in Houston. We could feel the vinyl of the booths, the coolness of the tile table tops, and the smoky smell of fajitas sizzling by. As I closed my eyes, I could see Mama Romero plating up all the deliciousness for the waitstaff to deliver to hungry and eager tables. Nothing will taste as good as Romero's "Pick 3" platter with a cheese enchilada, chicken flauta and guacamole, but at least we can give ourselves small drinks of goodness until we can taste it again for ourselves.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy, mom

Momicus said...

I can make some mad crazy chicken enchiladas with sour cream sauce. Had to learn how to cook them when I moved up north for college. There is no good Tex Mex in Ohio.

Vonda & Edgar said...

momicus-So funny you say that! We also lived in Ohio (Columbus) for 2years after we got married. I agree 100%.