Trip reports, ramblings, photos and videos from our life in Europe. Please feel free to send comments and keep me updated with your emails!

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Another Near Tragedy in the Kitchen

I only wish it would have involved leftovers. I try not to pay attention to old wive's pregnancy tales and when I receive advice, I politely nod my head, smile and either file it away or let it blow away in the breeze. So far, the best (and I say that loosely) advice I have received was from some well meaning and wonderful people in Cyprus. They kept offering me beer for my morning sickness and also said it would make my milk strong. My doctor said, "Really, like a pint?" Also, the doorman at our hotel there went on a very long tangent about how I should give my baby a teaspoon of starch (as in the starch you use to stiffen your clothes) every day in his bottle. This is because it makes the stomach very strong. His mother did it for him and he is now 60 years old and has never been sick. Everyone in Cyprus appeared to be normal, happy, and strong, so maybe there is something to their advice....

One thing you always read is that you get clumsy in pregnancy. I thought maybe I would bump into things since my body is changing shape and I'm not used to carrying around this particular weight. When the stomach expands several inches, that couch is a little closer than it used to be. But I'm beginning to think the clumsy thing is actually true. Last night as I began to prepare the Jamie Oliver Mexican cornbread and tortilla soup, I sliced open the tip of my left thumb. I thought I might need stitches it was so bad. It appears to have sealed a bit overnight and now it's just really sore and I have absolutely no feeling in it. Then, a little while later, I dropped said knife onto the floor only inches away from my bare feet. During clean up, I took the knife out of the drainer, whipped it around to put it in the drawer and actually scraped Edgar's arm with the tip of it (don't worry, no blood and he's OK). This is a serious knife, too...not a little paring knife, but a Santuko chef's knife. I NEVER do things like this. I think for every one's safety, I should just stay out of the kitchen.

3 comments:

Bill, Shaila and Brody said...

I hope your finger is ok. Tell Edgar it is take-out until nana arrives!!!

Anonymous said...

That' right and then you won't have to worry. Sounds like maybe nana better get there pretty soon. Love mom

Vonda & Edgar said...

If only we had drive-thru's and taco cabana, life would be so much easier. The finger is feeling better and don't worry, Edgar won't let us starve. He's pretty handy in the kitchen himself. Although I know he will be very happy when Nana arrives.