Trip reports, ramblings, photos and videos from our life in Europe. Please feel free to send comments and keep me updated with your emails!

Friday, October 23, 2009

The Baby Show


This is a very late post because it happened last weekend. Oh well, better late then never I guess!

Last Saturday we went to a very big Baby Show. It's got every single thing under the sun for babies, and it's all designed to make you feel like a bad parent if you don't get it for your new little bundle of joy. Just joking...they had lots of very useful products and provided great discounts for show shoppers. They don't really have big baby showers around here to help new parents get stocked up, so anywhere you can save a buck is always appreciated when you and you alone are responsible for buying everything for your baby.

Another thing they don't have over here are big box stores like Babies R Us and Target with millions of everything on display to test and tryout. Many things you just have to order online or from a catalog and wait to see if you like it when it's delivered. Needless to say, I don't like spending loads of money on something without being able to try it out first. So, I was focused on trying out glider chairs and baby slings. This is the only place with more than one chair to test out...they had three!!! I sat in one that I thought was comfortable and reasonably priced, but it was ugly and not something I would want to keep long term. We have had our share of chair drama around here that I haven't blogged about, and I have decided that all signs point to just not getting a chair over here. I know when I get back to the US, there will be 10 times more choices that I can test in person and they will be 1.5 times less expensive. Also, when we move, we will have to wait 6 weeks for it to arrive in our container shipment...so it's either have a mediocre chair here for 6 weeks and then wait 6 weeks to have it again, or just make do with our seating arrangements here and get one I really like as soon as we move back.
I also wanted to try out some baby slings. I never really thought the front carriers looked very comfortable for babies as they just kind of hang there. So I wanted a sling type carrier. I was able to try out several and found one I liked, fits Edgar and I both, and will grow with little baby for up to 2 years if we want (and he wants us) to keep carrying him around for that long!

We also found an ear thermometer for much less than the store price. All in all, it was a successful trip and we more than made up for the price of the ticket in product savings. You wouldn't believe the things they have out there. It was like a new world for me. People who know me know I don't handle too many choices very well. I get overwhelmed when there are too many things to pick from. Like the scrapbook aisle in Hobby Lobby. That's why I never started scrapbooking...too many choices of paper and I couldn't decide. I also get that way in Babies R Us. I walk in that store and look like I've hit a brick wall, there are just so many things and, up until a few months ago, I had no idea what was good. Well, I had a Hobby Lobby/BBRU moment as soon as we walked through the show's doors....brick wall. Good thing Edgar was there to keep us organized and keep me focused. We just took things one aisle at a time and remembered what we were there for. After 5 hours on my feet, though, I was ready to get home and have a nap!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like alot of stuff to me. I agree it's much better to see what you are getting instead of just a picture of it. You look great love, mom.